These trips can be customised for your group. We do expect that you have trail running experience in wilderness settings, and in changing mountain weather. You may be out on the trails for 5-8 hours per day, and must be able to run 20-28KM (12-18mi) per day distance with elevation gains up to 1400M (+4500ft) per day. You will need to carry a lightweight pack (10 – 20L) with needed gear for this trip (including but not limited to; daily food and water, sleeping bag liner, extra layers, and camp clothes (see below)).
- Your choice of a scenic floatplane flight to an Alpine lake to start your tour (floatplane departure from our Tyax Adventures base, on Tyaughton Lake) OR run into the Chilcotin Park from the Tyax Adventures base with your guide.
- An experienced trail running guide to guide you through the backcountry trails on your wilderness trail running experience.
- A delicious packed lunch on your days out running the trails (adjusted to suit on number of days running). Includes Sandwich, piece of fruit and slice/muesli bar and/or baked energy snack (let us know if you have any allergies,/dietary requirements as we’re happy to cater for these).Feel free to being any extra trail side snacks if there is anything in particular you like to carry on your runs.
- A healthy, hearty and delicious dinner on your nights in our backcountry camp aswell as Breakfast in the morning (adjusted to suit on number of days running). These are freshly prepared by our backcountry camp hosts (let us know if you have any allergies,/dietary requirements as we’re happy to cater for these).
- Double occupancy accommodation in our backcountry camps (see below for details on our backcountry camps)
- Unbeatable mountain vistas and stories for a lifetime
What’s included when staying at our Backcountry camps:
- A camp host to set up and maintain camp.
- A cozy bed in a dual occupancy canvas walled tent (2 people per tent typically)
- Three meals a day when in the mountains. Includes a hot breakfast and dinner prepared by the host, and self prepared and packed lunches for on the trails. A packed lunch prepared by Tyax Adventures is also included on your first day.
- Filtered water to fill your hydration packs and bottles.
- Sleeping bags, sleeping pad/mattresses, and pillows.
- Fleece jackets to help keep you warm in the evenings.
- Crocs footwear to wear while in and around camp.
- Outdoor hot showers with soap.
- An outdoor pit toilet that is basic in nature but fully stocked
- If ordered and paid for in advance – beer, wine and/or cider. Alcohol must be pre-ordered at least 30 days in advance and will be waiting for you at your desired camp location.
- The opportunity to dry out wet clothes and/or shoes, with a wood fired stove (this means you can travel even lighter!)
At Spruce Camp only, take advantage of our 3 fishing boats to head out onto the lake for some of the best fishing in the park. A fishing licence is mandatory.
At Eldorado Cabin, take advantage of our wood fired sauna to help relax tired trail muscles.
What to Bring
Trail Running tour:
- Running Shoes & socks
- Rain Jacket/ wind layer – depending on the weather
- Shorts (and/or full-length tights depending on the whether)
- Merino or synthetic bottom layer (weather dependent)
- Merino or synthetic short/long sleeve shirt
- Extra insulation layer – weather dependent
- Hat/Toque for wearing against the elements
- Hydration Day pack. Must be large enough to fit a lunch/snacks and personal items
- Bear Spray
- Sunscreen, Insect Repellent and Cap/Sunhat
- Personal Medication/Toiletries
- Sleeping Bag Liner and pillow case (Sleeping bags supplied)
- Light Puffy Jacket or appropriate insulation layers
- Change of clothes and sleep wear as desired (clean shorts, shirt, socks)
- Camp Towel (light travel towel)
- Personal Toiletries/Medications
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Hat/Toque for wearing against elements and sleeping
Frequently Asked Questions
Hiking and Trail Running Tours:
Will we see wildlife?
During most tours, we venture into remote country and even though there will be an abundance of wildlife, it can be rare to spot them. With proper precautions, it is unlikely any will bother us on our tours. We may spot grizzly and black bears, mountain goats, cougars, bobcats, marmots, wolves, and many more including many varieties of birds. For more information about the flora & fauna of the area take a look at the South Chilcotin Mountains Park website.
What should I wear on a hiking tour?
Sturdy hiking footwear is mandatory, we recommend something with ankle support and a thick sole. Running shoes are not recommended. A light long sleeve layer to keep bugs off on hot days along with a hat and sunscreen are also strongly recommended. For Backcountry mulit-day tours we recommend bringing a pair of light long pants to protect against brush along some sections of trail.
Will we encounter other users on the trails?
The South Chilcotin Mountains Park and Big Creek park trails are shared between; hikers, horseback riders and mountain bikers. All user groups should abide by the trail etiquette guidelines and use Common Sense and courtesy. Hikers and mountain bikers are to yield to horseback riders and mountain bikes yield to hikers. Please remember to be aware when you are on the trail and keep your eyes and ears open for other users. By following the guidelines we can all share the trails in a safe and responsible manner.
How much gear can I bring?
Your luggage must weigh less than 25 lbs. You will only need your personal gear, Tyax Adventures will provide all camping gear.
Can I leave extra stuff at the Tyax Adventures base while I’m in the Backcountry?
We do not have secure storage for your belongings at our base however many people leave extra gear in their cars. We can store small bags if absolutely necessary however Tyax Adventures are not responsible for these items.
Do I cook my own food and what do we eat?
Your host will prepare all of your meals, including delicious and healthy breakfasts, lunches and dinners. If you have any special dietary needs, please notify Tyax Adventures when you book your trip so that we can make the necessary allowances.
What are the camping arrangements?
You are required to bring your own sleeping bag liner and pillow case, however the huts and camps will have sleeping shelters so no tents or cooking gear are required. The campsite is also equipped with bear-proof food containers.
Are there shower and toilet facilities?
There are outdoor showers at Spruce Lake Camp, Bear Paw Camp & Eldorado Cabin/Camp. We will have biodegradable soap available for use. There are outhouses at the Spruce Lake Camp, Bear Paw Camp and the Eldorado Cabin/Camp.
Can you cater to special diet requirements?
We can accommodate vegetarians and we will do our best to accommodate those with allergies. Please note that due to the remote nature of our camps we may not be able to accommodate all requests. If you have specific requirements please note on your booking form and our staff will be in contact with you.
Is alcohol allowed in camps?
Alcohol is allowed in camps and you are allowed to carry your own. Tyax Adventures does not serve alcohol however we do offer beer and wine to be pre-ordered and ready waiting for you in camp. You will need to pre-book this at least 7 days in advance. Please remember that our backcountry accommodations may be shared with other guests, please be respectful and responsible when imbibing.
What are the tipping guidelines?
When your guiding and hosting team provided service that went above and beyond, in Canada it is customary in the outdoor adventure industry to express your appreciation through a cash gratuity. A gratuity is not mandatory, but if you would like to recognize the work of your team in this fashion, our recommended guideline is 10-15% of the total value of your trip.
As it takes many people – both frontline and behind the scenes – to ensure your trip is the amazing adventure you hope for, our policy is to pool all gratuities and split them amongst the whole team. To accommodate this, we ask that you pay any tips to our Guest Experience Coordinator at the activity desk, or arrange for payment through our reservations staff.
Should I bring my own snacks?
Plenty of food and snacks will be available during the trip, however, you are welcome to bring your preferred snacks. Should you bring your own, remember to never leave them in your tent or backpack unattended. Bears and other animals are a concern and will chew through anything to get to your food.
Is alcohol allowed?
Tyax Resort has a bar where you can purchase alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. For multi- day trips, you are required to pre-book your alcohol with us before arriving at Tyax Resort or arrange your own.
What if I have special diet requests?
If you have any special dietary needs, please notify Tyax Adventures when you book your trip (i.e. before you arrive at Tyax Resort) so that we can make the necessary allowances, if possible.
My question is specific to women…
Ladies should bring feminine hygiene products in plastic zip-lock bags. Please bring extra zip-locks for disposal after use. Please remember, your guides, female or male, have spent many days with groups in the backcountry. They have heard your question before and will always be mindful of your privacy.
What if I have additional questions?
Please visit www.tyaxadventures.com, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 1-888-892-9288 and we would be happy to answer your questions.
Booking and Cancellation Policy
BOOKING & CANCELLATION POLICY
A 25% deposit is required to secure a reservation, with the balance due 30 days before the activity/tour date. Payments can be made online, or by credit card over the phone.
If your balance is not paid by you 30 days prior to the first date of your booking with Tyax Adventures, your trip may be released.
All tours / flights / reservations cancelled outside of 30 days from the date of the tour will be refunded in full, less 10% of the deposit as cancellation charge. Payments made for any activity which is cancelled within 30 days of the date of the activity are non-refundable.
Our cancellation policy is firm and we recommend you purchase a trip interruption/cancellation insurance policy to avoid disappointment should you need to cancel your trip last minute, as you will not be reimbursed by Tyax Adventures.
For tours including accommodation; prices are based on double occupancy. Single rooms are available for an additional charge. Single supplement price will be provided on request. Guests travelling alone may request to be paired with another single traveller, if possible.
Every attempt will be made to adhere to our scheduled itinerary. However, participants acknowledge and willingly accept the possibility of unexpected changes to our route, timings and itinerary. Safety issues, weather and/or any extenuating circumstances beyond our control may contribute to this possibility. Should these changes affect your post-tour travel plans, Tyax Adventures will not be responsible for additional expenses incurred by tour members (non-refundable airline tickets, rental cars, hotel reservations, etc) Again, we recommend you have purchased your own trip insurance policy.
Should Tyax Adventures need to re-schedule your flight / tour or booking due to unforeseen circumstances such as weather or smoke from wildfires etc. we may offer you a credit for your trip to reschedule for the same season at the same rate, or give the option of a refund minus a 10% fee. This is at the discretion of Tyax Adventures at the time of the trip departure. We do not plan to make changes ahead of time as weather is unpredictable. Should you decide to cancel your trip, you are bound by the cancellation policy.
Tyax Adventures reserves the right to cancel scheduled tours that do not meet our minimum participation requirements (usually 4 guests). In the event of a cancellation, guests will be notified as soon as possible, usually 30 days prior to their tour departure. Tyax Adventures will provide a full-refund of any monies paid, or guests may select another tour date. Tyax Adventures will not be responsible for additional expenses incurred by tour members (non-refundable airline tickets, rental cars, hotel reservations, etc).
Each guided tour guest will be required to sign a Release of Liability, Waiver of Claims, Assumption of Risks and Indemnity Agreement before being allowed to participate in any activity with us.
Tyax Adventures reserves the right to cancel or adjust a flight at any time due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances. Flights cancelled by Tyax Adventures will be refunded minus 10% fee, or can be rescheduled at no cost.