PRE TRIP INFORMATION
- Scenic floatplane flight to an alpine lake to start your tour, or hike into the park via a local trail head.
- 3 full days of hiking multi use, historic, and at times rugged, backcountry trails.
- Some extended sections of hiking uphill (1 hour plus)
- Experienced, friendly and professional guide/s.
- All healthy and nutritious meals from lunch on day 1 to lunch on day 3.
- 2-nights double occupancy accommodation in our backcountry camps.
- Unbeatable mountain vistas and stories for a lifetime
What’s included when staying at our backcountry camp:
- A camp host to greet you and maintain camp.
- Cozy bed in a dual occupancy canvas walled tent (2 people per tent typically)
- Three meals a day when in the mountains. Includes a hot breakfast and dinner prepared by the host, and self prepared and packed lunch for on the trails. A packed lunch prepared by Tyax Adventures is also included on your first day.
- Filtered water to fill your hydration packs and bottles.
- Sleeping bags, sleeping pad/mattresses, and pillows.
- Fleece jackets to help keep you warm in the evenings.
- Crocs footwear to wear while in and around camp.
- Outdoor hot showers with soap.
- Outdoor pit toilet that is basic in nature but fully stocked.
- If ordered and paid for in advance – beer, wine and/or cider.
- Opportunity to dry out wet clothes and/or shoes, with a wood fired stove
At Spruce Camp only, take advantage of our fishing boats to head out onto the lake for some of the best fishing in the park. A fishing licence is mandatory.
What to bring
A 30 to 40 litre pack as you need to carry the items below:
- A personal facemask
- Daily lunch and snacks provided by Tyax Adventures.
- 2 to 3 litres of water daily.
PRO TIP – opportunity to fill from creeks/streams if do not wish to carry a lot of water
- Personal medications necessary – including tylenol and/or ibuprofen
- Light weight and packable jacket that is ideally water proof/wind proof.
- Bear Spray and know how to use it (recommend 1 between 2 people minimum).
- Change of hiking/camp clothes as you deem necessary.
PRO TIP – wear the next days hiking clothes in camp the night prior
PRO TIP – opportunity to wash cloths in nearby creeks and dry out overnight with wood fired stoves.
- Personal toiletries (soap is provided, but not hair care products etc.).
PRO TIP – pack travel sized toothpaste, shampoo etc.-not full size
- Head lamp
- Sleeping bag liner for in camp – see here.
- Pillow case
- Small, packable camp towel (hot shower available) – see here.
Optional Items (if space and weight permits)
- Trekking poles if you regularly use them
- Light weight puffy jacket for in camp in the evenings (fleeces are provided)
- Hat/toque, tights for in camp in the evenings (depending on the time of year visiting)
- Phone or camera for photos
- Personal charging device for phone/camera
- Travel sized personal sunscreen and/or bug spray if feel necessary
Sample Flight Start Itinerary
Day 1: Hike Lorna Pass to Bear Paw camp-option to do some return hikes from camp.
Stats: ~ 8kms (Lorna Lake to Bear Paw Camp). +331m / -521m
From our base you will begin your day with a scenic roughly 25-minute flight into the stunning and remote Lorna Lake, which is typically a brilliant turquoise in colour.
Shortly after leaving Lorna Lake you will cross Big Creek and begin hiking to the top of rocky Lorna pass. From atop Lorna Pass you are afforded views of a vast alpine valley, and mountains a brilliant red and orange in colour. After soaking it all in you will hike gradually down the valley, through forested sections of trail, to Bear Paw Camp.
Once you have arrived at Bear Paw Camp you have the option of relaxing and enjoying some activities located close by, such as fossil hunting at the base of a dramatic scree slope. Or you could refuel and go for an additional short out and back hike.
Day 2: Tyaughton Creek Trail, WD Trail, Spruce Creek Trail to Spruce Camp
Stats: ~ 18kms, + 340 m / – 504 m
Today you will hike through alternating forest and meadows on route to Spruce Camp. Be prepared for four major creek crossings, a few short steep climbs, and some slightly exposed sections of trail that side hill above the creek.
For most of the day you will be hiking parallel to Tyaughton Creek, and you will be offered awe inspiring views of the surrounding peaks and ridge lines.
Once at Spruce Camp you can walk a short distance to the shores of Spruce Lake, where row boats and fishing rods await (fishing licence mandatory). Or you could take the time to explore the surrounding slopes for fossils and viewpoints.
Day 3: Hike Spruce Camp to Gun Creek Road via Gun Creek Trail
Stats: Distance ~ 25km. Elevation + 145m / – 862m
Today your guide/s will lead you on a scenic 25 km hike back to the valley.
Shortly after departing camp you will arrive at an area of spectacular open sub alpine meadows filled with wildflowers (when in bloom) and aspen groves, which provide stunning views of the surrounding mountain ranges and the vast valley ahead of you. There are ample photo opportunity spots along this section of trail-enjoy your surroundings.
After descending gradually through the meadows, you will hike along the banks of Gun Creek for extended portions of time. Marvel at the power of the creek and enjoy the sounds of the running water. Notice a change in the terrain to a real mixture of volcanic ash and sand as you lose elevation and hike through the valley forest back to Gun Creek Road. Where our shuttle van will be waiting to transport you back to our base.
Customize Your Trip
Here are a few added service offerings that can make your trip extra special! Please contact us to learn more about these custom opportunities.
Accommodation at Tyax Lodge and Heli-skiing
For those looking for a bit of luxury and indulgence, a night(s) at the lodge before or after your tour might be just what’s in order.
Despite the lodge being a completely separate business from us, Tyax Adventures, we can book nights there on your behalf if they have availability. Let us know if this interests you.
Price includes a complimentary buffet breakfast and full use of their facilities.
Door to Door Flight Service
We are happy to pick you up with our DeHavilland Beaver float plane from a destination near you, and fly you directly to our base of operations on the shores of Tyaughton Lake. Saving you come significant drive time and offering you the opportunity to fly over alpine meadows and lakes, and past ancient glaciers.
Return flights from locations such as Vancouver International Airport, Whistler, Seattle, Tofino… and many more, are available. Please visit our charter flight page – click here – for options and pricing.
Premium Performance Apparel and Backpacks
As premium performance brands we couldn’t think of better partners to help elevate our guests experience.