Horseback Tour – 3 Day / 2 Night
Travel in the hoof prints of the pioneers as you explore the South Chilcotin Mountains by way of historic mountain routes. This tour is a great introduction to backcountry horse travel and can be specifically designed to accommodate novice and advanced riders alike. Itineraries vary based on the time of year, however you can always expect to see inspiring scenery, vast wilderness and local wildlife including bears, moose, marmots, deer, wolves, mountain goats and many more. Horseback riding is a spectacular way for anyone to get high up into the mountains and experience true wilderness paradise!
Distance: 10-20 km daily
Riding Ability: Beginner/Intermediate
Tour includes: 2 nights in our Backcountry Camps, all meals, expert guide/wrangler, camp host to prepare meals and camp, horse companion
Price: $1,099 per person (based on 4 people)
Customize Your Trip
Here are a few added service offerings that can make your trip extra special! Please contact us to learn more about these custom opportunities.
Full Gear Support
Enjoy your multi-day adventure without the burden of a heavy pack. Let our team of horses transport 20lbs of your personal gear to camp daily, so you can arrive at camp with more energy and coveted fresh personal items waiting (relevant to mountain bikers and hikers only.)
Let us treat you to a top-notch dining experience while at Spruce camp or Sky Camp. Imagine dinner plates rich with homemade bread, seafood satchel with saffron butter sauce or pan seared duck breast with a sweet and sour cherry sauce, lentils and vegetables, finished off with delightful Pumpkin cake with nutmeg whip cream and caramel sauce. Or perhaps breakfast plates filled with fresh fruit, muffins made that morning, eggs to order nestled in pan seared potatoes and crispy lengths of bacon and sausage.
Tyax Wilderness Resort & Spa rests on the shores of Tyaughton Lake on the border of the South Chilcotin Mountains Provincial Park. The Resort is our summer home base where our activity desk greets guests, and where our float plane docks. For those looking for a bit of luxury and indulgence, a night(s) at the resort before or after your adventure might be just what’s in order. Choose from amenities including full spa services, deluxe rooms, fine dining, lakeside recreation and bar service.
Door to Door Flight Service
We are happy to pick you up with our DeHavilland Beaver float plane from a destination near you, and fly you directly into the heart of the Chilcotin Mountains where the magic awaits. Return flights from locations such as Vancouver International Airport, Whistler, Seattle, Tofino… and many more, are available. Please visit our flight page for details.
Premium Performance Apparel by 7mesh
We have partnered with 7mesh apparel to provide our guides and guests with some of the world’s most specifically and thoughtfully designed mountain bike apparel. As a premium performance brand located in the Sea-to-Sky corridor we couldn’t think of a better partner to help elevate our guests experience when it comes to apparel comfort and performance. As a valued guest, we can help outfit you with the some of the best apparel for mountain biking available.
Find Your Skill Level
- Beginner – You have limited riding experience and perhaps have never ridden a horse before but are keen to try. A 1 or 2 hour ride is plenty long.
- Novice – Perhaps you have ridden a horse before and know that you are able to mount and dismount unassisted. You are comfortable and feel in control while your horse is walking and maybe even during short trots. You are comfortable on a horse for 3 to 4 hours.
- Intermediate – You have a firm and confident seat on your horse and feel comfortable while trotting and maybe even while cantering and galloping short distances. You are comfortable on a horse for 6 to 7 hours, but perhaps don’t ride regularly.
- Advanced – You are very comfortable on a horse at all paces, and perhaps can handle a spirited horse in open country. You are comfortable riding all day.
* Trail riding with us involves slow speeds and walking. Faster paces should not be expected.
“The food at Spruce Lake was amazing. The huts were comfortable. The appetizers at the huts were a great surprise.”
“We had an amazing trip!! Thank you so much for all your help in planning our adventure. All the staff at Tyax are top notch:)”