3 Day / 2 Night Backcountry Mountain Bike Tour
This trip is a true taste of the unique multi-day backcountry mountain biking adventures that we offer, and a sampling of some classic South Chilcotin riding. Your choice, you can begin pedalling or book a charter float plane flight from Tyax Resort into the heart of the Chilcotin Mountains. Catered to your goals and skill level, over 3 days our guides will uncover the magic of the Chilcotin as you travel through remote mountain passes, meadows rich with wild flowers and wildlife, shorelines of turquoise glacier fed alpine lakes, and vast expanses of rocky alpine terrain with signature rolling Chilcotin singletrack. And just when you’re too tired to go any further and your spirit is saturated with bliss, a backcountry camp/cabin awaits where full service and thoughtful meals, comfort and accommodation welcomes you.
Duration: 3 Days
Type of riding: Cross-country; some technical downhill sections
Distance: ~75 kms
Daily Ride Time: 4-7 hours
Skill Level: Intermediate to Expert / Fitness – level 2 or 3 (more info)
Tour includes: Flight into Chilcotin Park from Resort: guide: trail lunch on days 1 – 3, Dinner on days 1 & 2, Breakfast on days 2 & 3: 2 nights Backcountry Accommodation
Price: $840 per person or $1,050 w/flight start from Tyax Resort (based on 4 people)
Customize Your Trip
Here are a few added service offerings that can make your trip extra special! Please contact us to learn more about these custom opportunities.
Full Gear Support
Enjoy your multi-day adventure without the burden of a heavy pack. Let our team of horses transport 20lbs of your personal gear to camp daily, so you can arrive at camp with more energy and coveted fresh personal items waiting.
Tyax Wilderness Resort & Spa rests on the shores of Tyaughton Lake on the border of the South Chilcotin Mountains Provincial Park. The Resort is our summer home base where our activity desk greets guests, and where our float plane docks. For those looking for a bit of luxury and indulgence, a night(s) at the resort before or after your adventure might be just what’s in order. Choose from amenities including full spa services, deluxe rooms, fine dining, lakeside recreation and bar service.
Door to Door Flight Service
We are happy to pick you up with our DeHavilland Beaver float plane from a destination near you, and fly you directly into the heart of the Chilcotin Mountains where the magic awaits. Return flights from locations such as Vancouver International Airport, Whistler, Seattle, Tofino… and many more, are available. Please visit our flight page for details.
Premium Performance Apparel
We have partnered with 7mesh apparel to provide our guides and guests with some of the world’s most specifically and thoughtfully designed mountain bike apparel. As a premium performance brand located in the Sea-to-Sky corridor we couldn’t think of a better partner to help elevate our guests experience when it comes to apparel comfort and performance. As a valued guest, we can help outfit you with the some of the best apparel for mountain biking available.
Find Your Ability
- Advanced Novice – You enjoy riding singletrack that has small obstacles that may include roots and rocks that are a couple inches tall, as well as some mud and sand. You understand how to shift your gears and are often able to shift your gears in response to terrain. You are learning how to use both front and back brakes to control your speed, and to be comfortable and reasonably balanced standing up off your seat while descending. You are just learning how to climb effectively. Exposure is still intimidating.
- Intermediate – You are comfortable riding singletrack that has various obstacles including tight trees, mud, small loose rock, roots, and sand. You are able to mostly shift gears in response to terrain demands and use both front and rear brakes to control your speed. Descents are fun as long as they do not contain any obstacles and everything is easily and visibly rollable. You are practicing shifting your weight forward while climbing over technical terrain. Exposure with little to no consequence is fine.
- Advanced – You love riding singletrack and aren’t deterred by obstacles including roots and rocks that are up to 6” tall, loose sand and rock, mud, tight trees and corners. You are able to shift gears in response to terrain and modulate both front and back brakes in steep terrain. Descending is super fun and you are not intimidated by long descents with obstacles. You are able to climb technical singletrack and understand how to shift your body weight to achieve ultimate traction. Exposure is acceptable on moderate trails.
- Expert – You love to ride your bike in all terrain. Tight trees and corners, loose rock and sand, long descents with obstacles are all welcomed challenges that make the ride more fun. Modulating both front and rear brakes in varied terrain is a given, and shifting your body weight over your bike to respond to the terrain is brainless. Long descents with obstacles are exciting, and exposure with reasonable consequences often goes unnoticed.
- Level 1 – exercise weekly and are reasonably fit. could ride at a comfortable pace for 3 – 4 hours including 45 min climbs
- Level 2 – exercise 2 or 3 times a week with a focus on fitness. could ride up to 6 hours a day at a moderate pace, including 1.5 hour climbs, for a few days
- Level 3 – exercise 3 or 4 times a week and are very fit. could ride up to 8 hours a day at a good pace, with 2 hour climbs, for multiple days
“Amazing scenery, long days of stunning singletrack, and a great group of well matched riders made this trip a highlight of my cycling career. You’ve built an amazing network of camps and trails, thank you!”
“When I had the opportunity to join a biking backcountry trip in the Chilcotin I knew I was in for an adventure, but I wasn’t prepared for just how amazing it was going to be. Tyax exceeded all my expectations and the little details they delivered really set the bar for backcountry trips.”